What is WIC?

WIC stands for Women, Infants, Children. It is a government nutrition program that babies, children, and pregnant or breastfeeding women may qualify for based on income. Through WIC, participants have available to them a wide variety of nutritious foods completely free!

Why Blog?

If you are anything like me, WIC foods just left me confused and bored. Seven hundred peanut butter sandwiches later, I decided to put my noggin to work to try and come up with a solution for the four pounds of corn tortillas laying to waste in my refrigerator. I figured I can't be the only one with this problem, so I decided to blog about it! Most of these recipes will include SOME non-WIC foods, but anything that you can typically get for free with WIC will have an asterisk (*) by it. If anyone has any ideas they would like me to post, please send them to me via the comment form on the individual blog entry pages!

Remember...

Legally, you can only EAT your WIC foods or THROW THEM AWAY. Legally, you cannot DONATE them to a local shelter or pregnancy care clinic, SHARE them with a friend, or MAKE ART projects out of them....

Thursday, April 1, 2010

Make Your Own Yogurt

Spending a fortune on designer yogurt? Too much milk taking up your fridge? check this out...

ingredients:
1/2 gallon whole milk*
1 cup organic plain yogurt


1. put milk in the crock pot on low, covered with lid, for 2.5 hour
2. after 2.5 hours, unplug the crockpot, leave the lid on, and let it sit for 3 hours.
3. remove 2 cups of milk, whisk in the yogurt, and add mixture back to the milk in the crockpot, using whisk to make sure it's pretty well combined. (I used nancy's cream top yogurt, so before you scoop it out of its carton, you will want to stir it really well so the cream gets mixed in.)
4. wrap the crockpot in a thick towel and let it sit for 8 hours.

voila, you turned 1 cup of whole milk yogurt into enough yogurt to last for awhile! serve over fruit or blend it together for a delicious smoothie! Thank you, WIC! and thanks to my friend Heather for this recipe, who got it from crockpot365!

No comments:

Post a Comment